Sunday, July 8, 2007

Coulda Shoulda Woulda


So I saw the movie License to Wed today. It was quite entertaining and as Mandy Moore and John Krasinski went about wedding day decisions, it got me thinking about my wedding. It's been almost 5 years since our big day and with that time passed, there are so many things I would have changed about my wedding day. It's so funny, cause at the time it all feels so perfect, but looking back, some things just annoy me. Here are the things I should've done different. I'm sure in 5 years this list will grow even more.

Should've walked down the aisle to something more fun and meaningful than just the bridal march. If I had to do it now, I think I would choose "Brigther than Sunshine" by Aqualung. Of course, that song didn't exist back in '02, but I'm sure I could've found something better. I just didn't even think about it.

Should've thought more about bridesmaid selection. I have really lost touch with a few of them, and I wish I would've had foresight to know which friendships would last. One of my bridesmaids and I didn't speak or see each other from my wedding day until last week. So that kinda stinks.

Should've had future seeing ability so I could've invited people who are important to me now to my wedding. So many of you that I love so much now, I didn't know then. So you couldn't share with me on my special day, and I couldn't on yours.

Should've not thought I was fat on wedding day. Boy was I thin back then! And I so didn't think so which is stupid. I was 123 on my day - and oh what I wouldn't give to back there now. I would appreciate it this time and not think I needed to be smaller.

Should've had different first dance song. David really chose the song - and I never really liked it, but I wanted to let him contribute. This is probably the thing I wish was different most of all really. When I hear the song on the radio now it just annoys me - when your wedding song should give you warm fuzzies. He chose "Finally Found Someone" by Bryan Adams and Barbara Streisand. It was impossible to dance to, and it wasn't our song. We should've danced to "Your Precious Love" by Marvin Gaye and someone else who's name escapes me. It was much more our song. That is the closest thing to "our song" I can imagine and it has much more character.

Should've had an open bar at the wedding....or at least a champagne toast. At the time we felt there were too many people to offend, but as time passes all that seems silly.

Should've not invited people out of obligation. Last week I went through the wedding pictures from our table cameras and there were so many people at our wedding that are out of my family's life now. Most because they got ticked off at something at church and left in quite not nice ways. I really hate that I wasted space at my wedding on them. Grrrrr.

Should've gotten the DVD of my wedding. For some reason, we only ordered the VHS, which was really stupid. One of these days I need to take that up somewhere to get it converted before it gets all fuzzy.

I'm sure as the years go on, I will find more things to add to this list. And one day I'm going to have one kick @$$ renewal of vows bash and do everything different. But that's still like 20 years off, so for now, I just have this list.

So what tops your wedding day regrets lists?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Biggest regret: Having a wedding at all - Buddy and I both SO wish we would have eloped! We should have gone off with our best friends or even just the two of us and just enjoyed the moment. I LOVE my marriage but my wedding was just so much of a show for other people and I'm not a wedding person, so having the event at all was not US.

Amber said...

I'm with Jill, all of that money would have been better spent on a family vacation to Hawaii. I would skip it - and I would change the officiant ;)

Sunny said...

Dancing! A table for me to eat at! Different bridal party! Been less nervous!

Now if I were getting married now as an older woman I would only take my closest friends to a destination.

I still think we need to have a wedding video party!!!

tracey said...

It'll be 17 years this Friday & about the only thing I'd have the same is the groom. From the hat - (the 80's were not kind to brides) - to bridesmaids - (only sisters)it's a giant do-over. The main thing I'd do is have the stick removed from my butt and use it as a spine so I could be less uptight AND stand up to my mother & mother in law and have the wedding we wanted instead of the weddings they both missed out on. Wow. That sounds bitter. >: )

Amber said...

Snarky, party of two please... :}